Barbecued Chicken Kelantan Style Recipe
(Ayam Percik Kelantan)
RECIPES OF MALAYSIA
A favorite with locals and visitors alike, the barbecued
chicken is first marinated with a special spicy coconut gravy. A signature Kelantan cuisine
that is a good accompaniment to
legs (thighs and drumsticks)
Fresh ginger, finely
ground or grated
Dried tamarind pulp
Dried chilies, cut
into 2cm lengths, soaked in water.
Dried shrimp paste, (belacan)
Thick coconut milk
Rice flour or
- Prepare chicken by removing skin and excess fat, then
pat dry with paper towel.
- Combine ginger, turmeric and salt and rub into the chicken.
Cover and set aside.
- Prepare marinade, soak tamarind pulp in warm water for 5
minutes, then squeeze and strain to obtain juice.
- Process shallots, chilies, garlic and shrimp paste in
blender, adding a little of the coconut milk to make a smooth paste. Now add the rest of the
coconut milk and continue blending for another 20 seconds and pour through a fine strainer
into a wok or pan and discard the solids.
- Add tamarind juice, fenugreek, salt, sugar and rice flour to
the marinade and cook, stirring frequently until the sauce is thick and the oil starts to
separate, approx. 15 minutes.
- Add chicken and cook uncovered for approx. 20 minutes.
- Remove chicken and grill over charcoal for about 8 minutes
per side or until well browned, basting it several times with the remaining marinade.
- Alternatively, place chicken on a rack in a roasting tin and
roast in a preheated 200o C (4000F, Gas 6) oven for approx. 30 minutes
until chicken is well browned. Baste occasionally with the remaining marinade.
- Simmer any remaining gravy over low heat until thick and
spoon over the cooked chicken. Allow chicken to cool before cutting into serving pieces.
Asian Melting Pot
Subscribe to our FREE e-newsletter below
SYNDICATE THIS WEBSITE VIA RSS NEWS FEED
| VISIT OUR
Copyright © 2003 - 2009
Asian Recipes Online. All Rights reserved.
Last updated :
02 March, 2009
Visitors Online: 2